A Special Item is the name applied to certain item that is obtainable only to a specific character in Mario Kart: Double Dash!!. Unlike a standard item, most of these power-ups can be obtained in any place during a race, and while a character holds an special item, the second character cannot have another special item from an item box. Petey Piranha and King Boo are the only characters who can receive any special item excluding Luigi's Green Fireball and Birdo's Pink Egg. Additionally in Battle mode, all characters are able to use all the special items, but only Luigi can get a Green Fireball while only Birdo can get a Pink Egg.
A certain special item is given to two characters. Though some characters seem to have a personal power-up used only by them, they share the same function like the other's weapon.
- Mario: Red Fireball, Luigi: Green Fireball
- Miss P and Miss D: Heart
- Donkey Kong and Diddy Kong: Giant Banana
- Koopa Troopa and Koopa Paratroopa: Triple Green Shells or Triple Red Shells
- Baby Mario and Baby Luigi: Chain Chomp
- Yoshi: Yoshi Egg, Birdo: Birdo Egg
- Bowser and Bowser Jr.: Bowser Shell
- Wario and Waluigi: Bob-omb
- Toad and Toadette: Golden Mushroom